Friday, January 25, 2013

World Book Night 2013

This year I finally have the opportunity and means to celebrate World Book Night!



World Book Night is amazing because it lets thousands of volunteers spread the love literature and reading to a half million people. Isn't that awesome

I think the website describes the motivation for this amazing nonprofit organization best:
WBN is about giving books and encouraging reading in those who don't regularly do so. But it is also about more than that: It's about people, communities, and connections, about reaching out to others and touching lives in the simplest of ways--though the sharing of stories.
This is definitely a purpose I get behind. I tried so hard last year, the first WBN was celebrated in the US as it originated in the UK, to become a volunteer book giver. I applied and was even accepted, but however due to zero personal transportation and shitty public transportation (a failure of both UCSD and MTS and that situation is apparently about to get much, much worse... Sidetrack of anger, sorry) it was basically impossible to get from campus to the library where the free books were to be distributed.

This year though, I have a car! A miracle in and of itself, but the real miracle was a random moment I was reminded of WBN and finding out the deadline to volunteer had been extended to this very day! So I signed up! And hopefully I am accepted again... Because this time, I can totally do it! I have free time in abundance and will to do so.

Just giving people, or even just one person, a book that could possibly turn them from a boring, difficult existence here in my hometown to one that is filled with imagination and adventure and characters who should be real life people (Jessica Darling, I'm looking at you... Or just Marcus Flutie!) is a very exciting opportunity. I really hope I get selected this year.

I want to spread the love of reading, person to person. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment